How do I register as self-employed or a property landlord with HMRC?

To file a tax return, you will need to be registered with HMRC. The term for the way you'll be reporting your tax is "self-assessment".

If you're a sole trader (self-employed)

If your income is more than £1,000 as a sole trader, then you need to make sure you are registered for self-assessment.  The deadline to do so is 5 October following the year when you started earning.

If you're not self-employed but do own property or have a high income

If you need to register for self-assessment for other reasons than being self-employed, then you'll need to visit this HMRC page. Register for self assessment if you're not self-employed

How to register if you're self-employed

There are two ways to register.

1. The quick and easy way: untied

2. Via the HMRC website: Register for self-assessment

If you use the untied service, you'll find it quick and easy.  One form covers all your income.  We'll also support you, and give you a voucher against an untied membership.

Help! I've missed the deadline!

If you've missed the deadline, don't worry, just get your form in as soon as you can.

Still need help? Ask untied Ask untied