Do I need to file a tax return?

untied users asks us five main questions when they start earning money in new ways:

  1. Do I need to tell HMRC?
  2. Do I need to file a tax return?
  3. Do I need to pay personal tax, what sort and how can I make sure I pay the correct amount?
  4. Are there other taxes to bear in mind?
  5. How can untied help me?

Most people don't need to notify HMRC of what they're earning or file a tax return. That's because they're earning in ways where tax is automatically deducted, or no additional tax is due. For instance, if your income is a salary, a pension, or benefits. You can have other income sources such as interest and investments up to certain levels.

But there are still around 12 million people who do need to notify HMRC and have to file a tax return. These include:

  • Self-employed people earning over £1,000
  • Property landlords earning over £1,000
  • Those on higher salaries above £100k a year

You can check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return at the HMRC website address below:

One of the most common questions is whether someone is employed or self-employed. Take a look at the linked article.

untied can help you notify HMRC and file your taxes in a straightforward way. We'll suggest deductions and optimise your tax position automatically. Again, there's a linked article to get you going.

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Ask untied Ask untied