What if I miss the tax return filing deadline?
The tax year ends on 5 April. The deadline for submitting a personal tax return online is normally by midnight on the following 31 January. Payment of anything you owe is also due by that date.
Our advice is:
- Try your hardest to get your tax return in ahead of the current deadline, and avoid the possibility of a penalty.
- Even if you miss the deadline still try to get your return submitted as soon as you can.
- If you don’t have all information to hand, include provisional numbers and file an amendment later. You can do this amendment with untied.
- Although the payment deadline is in theory also 31 January, significant payment penalties don’t kick in until the start of March (though you may need to pay a small amount of interest).
- If you're struggling to pay what you owe, contact HMRC as soon as you can, to explore the possibility of a payment plan.