Spreading the tax bill and other help to pay your tax

From time to time, we can get into a position where we need additional help, especially with tax debt. If you're struggling to pay, please don’t ignore it. If the online options don't work for you, we recommend speaking to HMRC on 0300 200 3822.

About time to pay

You can set up a payment plan with HMRC known as a ‘time to pay’ arrangement to spread the payment of self-assessment tax bills.
You can do this most easily if: 
  • you owe £30,000 or less 
  • you don't have any other payment plans or debts with HMRC 
  • your tax returns are up to date
  • it’s less than 60 days after the payment deadline

Set up your time to pay to spread the cost

Payments on account

If you're approaching 31 July and you've been asked to make a payment on account, but your profits have reduced, you can ask HMRC to reduce your payments on account - see our article about " payments on account" for more details.

Other help

You can also see this article from the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG).

For more advice and if contacting HMRC doesn't solve things, there are some excellent charities especially targeted at people on lower incomes. They include:

Tax Aid (www.taxaid.org.uk)
Tel: 0345 120 3779
Email: info@taxaid.org.uk

Tax Help for Older People (www.taxvol.org.uk)
Helpline: 01308 488 066
Email: taxvol@taxvol.org.uk

If you're just looking for how to pay HMRC, see our related article "Paying your tax to HMRC".

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Ask untied Ask untied